1993 740i Transmission

cbe317

Hello again,
I think I have finally found the problem with my tranny. I have a faulty kick down switch. The BMW dealer here says that with 100k mile on the tranny, I should think about replacing the whole tranny. Instead of fixing the switch. I`ve never owned a BMW before so I am clueless when it comes to servicing this thing. Is the kick down switch a common problem for these tranny`s or is this just normal wear and tear? Is it time for me to replace the tranny?[confused]
Thanks, C.

funcrab

I have never heard about that. A transmission costs about 6000, of course he wants to sell you a new one!!! I have a 740i Mod 94 with 95kMls. The transmission made noise when shifting, shiftung was hard, engine went off sometimes when stopping hard: simply low fluid (1/2l for 132$ YES, that much, actually for 5l container!) BMW wanted to replace the tranny (6000$), Cottman Transmissions wanted to rebuild the tranny (for 2500$), a local BMW "expert" said I need a new the torque converter for 1000$.

cbe317

Thats what I thought. I found a REMAN tranny for 2500 with 2 year parts and labor warranty. "Autosports Limited" out of Mich. I put the car up on lift and inspected the driveshaft. Uni-joints are gone. Thats part of the problem. But the main thing is there is no drive when the trans selector switch is in A/T mode. But when in winter mode(No First Gear) it drives great. Sometimes I hear a buzzing/ratlling noise from underneath only when deccelerating around 25 mph. Engine RPM makes no difference in the rate of the rattle, only wheel speed.