2001 740IL replacement tires?

syurko

Thanks

Hey Vance,

I have been there are read a bunch of reviews on many tires. All are conflicting. Was wondering if anyone had any good experience with a replacement tire for this car.

Thanks again for the reply and other additional thoughts!

syurko, the reviews are often conflicting, but if the majority of reviewers are happy, that means it is a good tire. Look at the rating system carefully, the customers take that very seriously, and you are safer off buying the tires based on its ratings rather than what people have to say about it. Also, if you call up TireRack, their representatives will recommend certain tires over others!

syurko

740 IL tires

Thanks for the Tirerack lead and firestone comments. I appreciate your thoughts there and will check with Tirerack.

Do you guys have specific recommendations for tires though - like does anyone out there have experience with a certain brand on that 740IL?

Thanks again in advance

2KWIK4U

syurko, I did quiet a bit of research for tires/rims for my 1998 740iL. I ended getting Bridgestone Potenza S-03 pole position tires on M-paralell chrome rims from aaarims.com.I am very pleased with there looks and performance, and was also very pleased with aaa rims service. Good luck, Nigel.

Mumzik

Dear syurko,
I have same issue too.
It is hard to make a choice with such info (tirerack).
So far I can say pricewise Tirerack looks very attractive.
With lowest price per tire+S/H+mounting+alignment you will endup with less money as if you go to any local tire store.
But the question is what kind of tires to choose?
Currently I have Continantal Echoplus 235/60/16.
Honestly, despite Tirerack ratings, I can't say what I was happy about those tires for the last 2 winters.
Please let me know if you have got some more info and about your decision regarding a brand.
Thank you!

CEC666

Dear syurko;
It wasn't until I posted my question about 740IL Tires that I found your post.

In mine I put what little i can offer about the three different sets I've experienced.
"WonderWoman's" setup is 235-50-ZR18 front and 255-45-ZR18 rear.
Two sets of Michelins [Pilot Sport and Pilot SX} as well as the Bridgestone SO3's. I read great things about the Goodyears and wanted to try them but can't find them instock anywhere.
Tire Rack took care of me in the past but can't seem to get hold of the Goodyears when I need them most.

FYI: Tire rack wants under $200 for the same tire a Goodyear store wanted to charge $320.
I plan to call Tire Rack Monday to see what other options they can offer.

Here is the excerpt from my post:
{OEM set were Michelin Pilot Sport..lasted 26K...ride & wet/dryhandling good and noise fair.
2nd set were Michelin Pilot SX..stickier, great handling, same ride, but louder, 22K life.
3rd set..Bridgestone SO3's....good handling, rough ride and very noisy in 2nd 1/2 of life. Only lasted 15K Miles...ouch.}

Hope this helps.
Best of luck...

jthayes

740i Sport tires

I am assuming that you have 18" M Parallels. These are what I have on my 740i Sport. I have run a lot of different combos. My best so far have been Continental ContiExtremeContacts. I am currently running 245/45/18 front and 275/40/18 rear and they look and feel great. I have been delighted with how quiet, comfortable, and responsive they are. They also do excellent in our wet Northwest weather. Haven't taken them out in the snow yet, though. I like the wider look for the rear tires. I think it looks better and at $164-168 for these tires, tirerack's service and prices can't be beat!
Just a few thoughts...

Joseph Hayes
Salem, OR

CEC666

I have the 18" M wheels. I am about to try a full set of Goodyears...I have tried Michelin Pilot Sport (old and new tread style), Bridgestone SO3, but not the Continental. Look forward to hearing your full life term report on the Continentals. The few complaints about them seemed to be in the last half of tread life. That scared me away from them.
Tire Rack said I wouldn't get much better tread life on the Goodyears than i did on the Bridgestones (15K miles). I learned that after... the badly needed rear pair were in-transit from Tire Rack. Reviews did not cover the Goodyear Treadlife as it is a new tire.

Goodyears:
The Tread Design is very radical. I like it. Logically it should provide great rain performance but anytime the sipes run towards the outside of a tire... the tread life is going to be short due to "scrubbing" in a forward track. Oddly though the noise outta be high for the same reason yet it is a very quiet tire.

When I get the front pair and can give them a real test I will report back.

Carl
Crownsville, Md