540 Alarm

sge908e

I have a 1998 540 and occasionally experience the alarm going off in high heat/strong sunlight. Are there any settings to modify the alarm to a "lower" status? I can't figure out if it's the internal heat of the car or if the heat waves off the roadway somehow rock the car. The dealership said they never heard of the problem, but my parents had the same problem with their Nissan Maxima in extremely high temperatures.

That's certainly strange, but I'm not doubting you. I don't think you can adjust any of the sensors of the alarm. Approximately what is the temperature that is settting off your car alarm??

Since you only have problems in high heat and sunlight, could it be that you're leaving your window or sunroof open a bit on those days?

I think you hit the arming button *twice* and it will turn off the part of the alarm which registers changes in air pressure in the cabin..

You probably already know that, but it's the only thing that came to mind. [8)]

sge908e

Thanks for arming info; I did not know that. Temp that sets off alarm is usually over 90 degrees with direct sunlight.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
I have a euro spec. '99 523i and I have the same problem with the alarm. When it is hot outside the alarm goes off for no apparent reason from time to time.[confused]
And what is this about arming the alarm by hitting the button twice? My books are all in German and I am learning more and more about the features of the car from none other than BMWBOARD.com!!! If anyone know where I could get a manual for the model I have in english it would be great!!![driving]

adrean8j said:
I have a euro spec. '99 523i and I have the same problem with the alarm. When it is hot outside the alarm goes off for no apparent reason from time to time.[confused]
And what is this about arming the alarm by hitting the button twice? My books are all in German and I am learning more and more about the features of the car from none other than BMWBOARD.com!!! If anyone know where I could get a manual for the model I have in english it would be great!!![driving]

Well, I'm just going by what's in my '98 528i manual.. which says something to the effect that if you want to leave a window open a bit or leave kids or animals in the car briefly, you can disable the internal motion detection system by hitting the arm button a second time after the initial lock/arm action.

As for getting an English language manual, I have the same problem. My wife got a '94 325ic in Canada before we met, and the dealer offered her manuals in both French and English. She thought "Why would I ever need an English one?" [?|] So, I have a manual I can't read, and would love to score an English one somewhere. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
Trev said:
Well, I'm just going by what's in my '98 528i manual.. which says something to the effect that if you want to leave a window open a bit or leave kids or animals in the car briefly, you can disable the internal motion detection system by hitting the arm button a second time after the initial lock/arm action.

As for getting an English language manual, I have the same problem. My wife got a '94 325ic in Canada before we met, and the dealer offered her manuals in both French and English. She thought "Why would I ever need an English one?" [?|] So, I have a manual I can't read, and would love to score an English one somewhere. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob
DOOOOH!!!!