750 Steering Box

My system is leaking fluid.... I am pretty sure its coming from the steering box.... I can't tell if its coming from the banjo fittings on top of it.... I couldn't view the top.... I will still try to take a look at it.... but at this time I think its leaking out of the body of the steering box.

OK.... I can get a used steering box for about $400..... I can get a rebuilt one for about $600....

To remove the steering box the manual says to remove the air bag under the steering column..... the manual instructs how to do this and it looks extremely easy ( disconnect battery terminal, remove 2 torx bolts under the steering wheel, disconnect a couple of wires ).... any thoughts on the advisability of doing this myself ?

Snce I am working on a 1990 750 iL.... does it make sense to install a new air bag instead of the old one ? Can I purchase a new airbag ?

And.... the manual indicates that I need to raise the engine slightly and remove the driver side engine mount in order to remove the steering box..... any thougths or warnings you would like to offer regarding this ?

Thanks for your help !

Thom ... entire box or just banjo fitting, it is extremely difficult working in that area. I did mine with the engine out. No problem. It would be the time to replace the hoses while you are at it. Don't worry about replacing the air bag. It is simple to remove and re-install. Be sure to get new crush washers for the banjo fittings.

cyc10

Hi

Can anyone help me my 1998 740i has leaky power steering hoses according to the dealer. Are they hard to replace? I know it takes ATF fluid but can you please tell me which kind?

Thanks Al

epj3

cyc10 said:
Hi

Can anyone help me my 1998 740i has leaky power steering hoses according to the dealer. Are they hard to replace? I know it takes ATF fluid but can you please tell me which kind?

Thanks Al
Should be Dexron-II