ac fan resistor bad

o.k. another issue that has been coming and I knew it. My AC fan motor only blows out cold air when I'm going 40 mph or higher. When I'm at a dead stop there is no breeze or anything coming thru. All my lights are on like normal. I talked to my Auto part store buddy who's got alittle knowledge on this and he's telling me it's my resistor to the fan motor switch. He showed me a pic of it and it's funny shaped metal ( u shaped but not a complete u ) with a 5-6 pin plug that controls the Ac fan motor. Now my question is, where is this resistor located under my dash. he's telling me it could be in my vents and then it could be behind my stereo in one of the AC vents that run throughout the car. Anyone else had this issue? he also told me to check the fan motor to make sure it's not being stopped up by something that may have found it's way into the intake air system for my AC and may be holding my fan from rotating like it should. I know the fan is under the passenger side dash but before I take it apart I would like to get some input maybe a link to a website that may show you how to R & R any of these parts?