After market Nav

EdSpider

I just bought a 2002 325cic (convertible). Its my first BMW and replaces my Miata. Quite a difference. It's topaz blue with tan interior, 11K miles. Perfect condition for $34K. At first the color scared me, but it seems ok.

Anyway does anyone have any pics or info about an after market NAV system? Its the only option I wish it had.

Are you looking for a removable nav or a built in. If you want a removable one then get a Garmin unit, I suggest the new 2610/2650 models comming out. The portable units can be moved to other cars, taken with you on hikes, and can easily be updated by downloading updates from the internet. Disavantages: not as many features, can only hold a state or county, usually looks ugly or out of place on the dash, and has a small screen. The Garmin 2610 is avalable for pre order on amazon.com for $850 making it the cheepest option, it comes out end of this month.

For built in ones, get the Kenwood or Alpine. I all depends on how mutch you want to spend and what features you want. If you want a built in one, you are looking at around $2000 and up. There are many advangages sutch as having the entire United States on 1 disk, being able to watch DVD movies, more features, mutch bigger screen, and easier to use. Disavantages: requires profesional instalation, expensive, an updated disk can be costly. The Kenwood unit is selling for $1500 + another $1100 for an 8" screen at Crutchfield.com. The Alpine unit is selling for $1700 + $650 for a 6.5" screen at Crtuchfield.com. Also add to that instalation, and tax. Some of these models can be found for cheeper if you search for it, Crutchfield's price is very fair and cheeper then most retail stores.

If you want a built in though, I would suggest waiting, there are many new advancements comming to the built in market including traffic reports. The nav would get updates on accidents and traffic and be able to re route you around them. These features are less then a year away if you want to wait.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. By the way, congrats on the new BMW [:)]

Last edited:

EdSpider

Cosmetic

Thanks for sage advice. Mostly I want something that looks good. Do the built in units look odd? I don't want to muck up the clean lines of the BMW console, but I don't want some 3rd box sitting out there in space. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Usually the built ins can recess into the car so when not in use, you dont even see it. They will definitly look a lot better than the on dash units. How mutch can you afford?

ZachD

I'm in the same situation. I got my M3 without navigation thinking I wouldn't have a use for which I'm regreting now. I'm thinking of going with the stock bmw nav so it looks right, but others like kenwood, alpine, etc. give you more options. I've noticed on a lot of the flip screen head units when they come out block the a/c vents on BMWs, and don't look like they fit in with the rest of the car.

EdSpider

My NAV Findings

I checked the market. Harmon Kardon makes a nifty replacement radio with a NAV option for about $850. It doesn't have a screen, but it does let you dial in an address. It gives turn by turn and voice instructions. I thought it was very easy to use and intuitive.

But for my BMW furgetaboutit. You loose the steering wheel controls. And it would look absurd. Instead of nice wide integrated buttons, you'd end up with everything crammed into a 3 x 7" rectangle in the upper left corner of what is now your radio buttons.

Kenwood and Alpine would block the center AC vent when in use. These units cost $4200, too. It doesn't have that much value for me. I'll just take my Lexus when I don't know where I'm going.

For the BMW, I think the best solution is the Garmin StreetPilot 2610. You just set it on the dash when you need it. And store in the glove box when you don't. Its about $850 at Amazon.

Is it possible to retrofit a 2002 325 with factory NAV?

All of that matches my findings except the price for the intsalled nav units, using crutchfield as a guide they all came out under $3000 and usualy if you are at a retail place like best buy that is about what they would charge and installation is free. Otherwise you can easily find private dealers that will match that price and install it for free.

But like you said I think it is better to get the Garmin. Although it looks worse, you can do mutch more with it and you can do a lot with the money you save.

About the radio replacement one you mentioned, I actualy know someone who got it and as a nav it dosent work well compared to the Garmin or other built in ones, only use it in a toyota or some other cheep car that it might look ok in and needs a new radio anyway.

Lastly about the factory nav you are probably looking at $4000 + to do it and you loose warrinty on several parts of the car by doing it. I wouldent suggest it, instead get your self a garmin unit and a plasma tv for the house [:)]