After replacing battery, car won't start

shydragon

Hi,

Hadn't started vehicle in a couple of months, battery was dead, so replaced it. It will not start, lights, control panel comes on, but engine will not turn over. I don't even hear clicking noises. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,

Pat

I went through this with an aftermarket alarm system. I am unfamiliar with BMW or which aftermarket you might have, but I would guess that your alarm system needs reset. Hope that this points you in a direction.

if you have an aftermarket alarm on your BMW pull the panel down directly under your steering wheel and look at the wiring harness that comes from the ignition itself. There should be a bundle of wires and you should see that one is clipped and and the clipped parts of that wire will be twisted together ( some techs twist them together some may just tape them up ) and follow it to either your kill switch relay, or the brain to your alarm. If you don't see this, then my suggestion is to look for a small black box that will either be tucked away inbetween your wiring under your dash or zip tied to a stand of wires. Most install techs will put the brain and the kill switch within a few inches to a foot apart from each other. Now if you do find your brain to your alarm, you should be able do unplug it and if the alarm is bad or one of the wires isn't pushed all the way into the harness you should be able to see this with relative ease. Also on the back of most aftermarket alarms is the wire diagram of the alarm so you would be able to check you power ground and ignition with a 12 volt test light. If all wires check out you may just pull the alarm and leave it out for a few mins and then plugg it back in that normally resets it but can also erase any user freindly programmable features you may have put on it. Hope this helps and if you need any further assistance shoot me an email at ( datant69@hotmail.com ) I check that more regularly then the replies......

have a good one and good luck.....

FYI guys ( and girls, I know there are a few of you out here ) I've installed alarms and car audio for over 15 yrs, I'm not too familuar with the BMW's yet but I'm getting more and more knowledgeable about this car all the time...