Board Warning Message

cai

My 1999, 740i is showing the warning message "Service Engine Soon". I was able to reset it using a code setting tool about two weeks ago. The message has reappeared and now it cannot be reset with the tool anymore.

1- Does anyone have an idea why it can no longer be reset by the tool?
2- Are there any tricks that I should know about when using this tool? It has worked perfectly with my 1988, 735i and it did so when resetting the oil change bar in the 740i.
3- The tool instructions talk about an SI computer battery. Does anyone know where this computer is located in the 740? In the 735, my extended manual says that it is in the center console, to the right behind the radio. I really do not want to replace that, but would like to know if there is a test for this.
4- Short of buying a code reading machine, does anyone know of any diagnostics procedures that I can use to determine what is at fault?

Thank you.

cai

I have temporarily solved the problem. What I did was, I disconnected the positive lead from the battery and reset the computer. The light did not appear last weekend; I have not used the car since. If it reappears, I will buy the tool that reads the codes so that I can have an idea of what is going on.

I will post again if the trouble comes back.