Broken Window Regulator

plt

2001: 325i: My third window regulator failure has occured. Is anyone else having the same problem? This is crazy! Its one thing if it breaks once, but 3 times is a defect. I've replace both back window regulators and now find the passenger side front broke. Does anyone know if BMW has formely announced a defect? I'd bet they would be forced to have to do that. My dealership is not admitting to any defects. Any advice? 'm wary of attempting to replace myself since the airbag is in the door. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Nope. No recall to my knowledge. They really should as I consider the window regulators, moonroof shade clips, and door trim (particularly on coupes) to be defective as pretty much everyone has those things fail (a lot of times, quite often like you).

plt said:
2001: 325i: My third window regulator failure has occured. Is anyone else having the same problem? This is crazy! Its one thing if it breaks once, but 3 times is a defect. I've replace both back window regulators and now find the passenger side front broke. Does anyone know if BMW has formely announced a defect? I'd bet they would be forced to have to do that. My dealership is not admitting to any defects. Any advice? 'm wary of attempting to replace myself since the airbag is in the door. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Common failure after 4-5 years on E46's, I've had 2 go out on my 2000 so far.. It's a wear and tear piece that goes out on *any* car (sooner than later usually), but BMW ones seem like they go out 'sooner' than soon.. [:(]

GoofyRider

A friend of mine has a 2000 328i and his window regular for his rear window also went out the other day. My 2004 330ci just had the door trim problem ... on both sides. Both of us have yet to experience the sunroof problem (cross our fingers) ...

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
GoofyRider said:
Both of us have yet to experience the sunroof problem (cross our fingers) ...
I was saying the same exact thing and then all of a sudden the clips broke. It breaks without warning. Works one slide, then not the next. Give it time, it WILL break.

Creative

plt said:
I have a 2000 323 i and starting in September of 2000 they have replaced 10 window regulators, the last one in November of 2004. We had a 1997 528 and never had a problem with regulators. With my history of problems, they have assured me they would continue to replace them even after warranty. which they did on the last 2 in November. Great car bad problem!

Bill

I Googled "BMW Window Regulator" just to see how prevalent this problem is. Read below - Hahaha!!! Who writes this crap?!?!??!?!??

BMW Window Regulator
Not everyone in the world knows what window regulators are. They are unsung contraptions meant to control the upward and downward motion of windows that adorn each and every vehicle in existence. Window regulators are one of those devices which are not actually seen but can be considered as one of the most important paraphernalia any vehicle could have. They are the ones responsible for the mechanism of making windows slide up and down by controlling the motion they make, allowing them to be raised, lowered or locked with the necessary smoothness needed throughout.

BMW Window Regulator

Since window regulators have this function, they are required to be capable of holding their own against constant use. Window regulators that have the necessary strength and resilience are the ones which have this capability, and there is no better name to associate such great contraptions with than the BMW name.

BMW window regulators are fine devices meant to give convenience to each and every BMW owner. This they do by enabling them to use their windows painlessly and without trouble. BMW window regulators allow windows that adorn BMW cars to operate with unimaginable smoothness. Windows that utilize such mechanism do not get stuck because of the effortless operation that BMW window regulators provide them with.

One great thing about BMW window regulators is that they prove themselves to be as long-lasting as the BMW vehicles which they are installed on. While ordinary window regulators lose their capacity to do their function well in a just short period of time after being bought, BMW window regulators prove to be serviceable enough to never give in even after ages of being used.

BMW window regulators give each and every customer his or her money’s worth. They prove to one and all that unsung contraptions such as themselves need not be popular just to be able to do their job well.

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
As I was reading that Kirby, I was waiting to get to the punch line, like "and BMW regulators, unlike the rest of the vehicle are total pieces of crap."

LMAO.

Noah

what causes the regulator to break is the fact that it's made of plastic and a metal cable w/ a motor that operates it up and down; They constantly break, but there is a way to aviod this breakage: always crack the window a little way down when the car sits in the hot summer or heat. this will not cause the glass to stick to the rubber moulding that the window seals to when in the up position. What happens is if the window is not cracked then the glass sticks to the rubber and when you go to pull the window down there is a more tension on the plastic aspect of the regulator and as such over a period of time it will break. so to aviod this always make sure that you dont allow the glass to get stuck to the rubber- Noah

William330

what causes the regulator to break is the fact that it's made of plastic
and a metal cable w/ a motor that operates it up and down; They constantly
break, but there is a way to aviod this breakage: always crack the window
a little way down when the car sits in the hot summer or heat.
Funny thing, I leave my sunroof shade open about 2 inches so the heat from the sun
doesn't build up and weaken the crap plastic clips used to hold the sunroof shade on
(had the shade fixed 3 times already, due to a 25 cent plastic part).

Apparently BMWs don't respond well to sunlight.

Muadi

I plan on fixing my rear regulators myself (right side broken, left side about to break, it is currently split/fatigued).

What is the common opinion? BMW parts or after-market parts? BMW has proven that they have a poor design and a supplier that it making a ton of money for replacement parts. Not sure I want one, but I don't know if the after-markets are any better.

ksbmwers

I've had both rear window regulators fail. The first was under warranty, the second was after my warranty expired - but the service advisor agreed to pay for it. Monday my front drivers window regulator failed! That's 3 of 4 regulators in 6 years. I now have a new service advisor... so we'll see if BMW pays for this one. Frustrating at best!

I just replace my 3rd one a month ago. Broke on a trip 300 miles from home. It was a fun ride home. P.O.S costs me almost $500 a pop. It's like adding an extra car payment.

William330

Instead of cables and plastic to move the windows up and down, wouldn't it make sense for BMW to use a "screw" drive (think "scissor lift") as used in many higher end garage door openers?

There's nothing to break, it's silky smooth, and it's cheap and simple to manufacture.

regatta10

Plastic

I have a 2003 (which i bought last year - only 40k miles) have been through 2 on the back drivers door as well. i've been told we can expect to replace more!!

325es86

Nope. No recall to my knowledge. They really should as I consider the window regulators, moonroof shade clips, and door trim (particularly on coupes) to be defective as pretty much everyone has those things fail (a lot of times, quite often like you).
I have had problems with all three of these on my coupe.