Difference between G-force and motorcycle helmet

This spring I'm going to begin autocrossing and I need a helemt. It doesn't need to be fire retardant, but I want an M2000 approval. I have been looking at the G-force: Force 1 helmet because it only cost $150 and is M2000 rated, but I have also seen motorcycle helmets for much cheaper ($50-$100) with M2000 ratings. Is there any difference in construction and design between the full faced car racing helmets and full faced motorcycle helmets?

The Snell Rating specifies a minimum level of impact protection. It doesn't have a big influence on the exact materials, overall quality and comfort. I have owned 4 or 5 helmets over the years, and tried on probably 15 or 20. The biggest difference I could see in pricing was comfort and fit, followed by bells and whistles (graphics, prewired for audio, etc.).

SCCA may actually outlaw full face shield helmets, so you should probably wait a little longer before you buy. SCCA is doing an investigation into injury risks due to full face helmets and potential jaw and neck injuries if the airbag should inflate. They are concerned about the closer proximity and additional leverage that the airbag impact might have when contacting the lower face/chin shield.

I own 2 Snell full face helmets, a Bieffe and an HJC, but it looks like I will be buying my daughter and I new open face helmets for the spring season.

The official announcement is here - http://www.scca.org/_Filelibrary/File/AirbagAdvisory.pdf

Participant Bulletin
DATE: November 16, 2004
TO: All Participants
SUBJECT: Airbag Advisory
It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use
of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag
restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys
the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to a
driver’s position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver’s chin. In a
crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full-face
helmet can be so powerful “that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be
ruled out“ (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999). This applies
to vehicle that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car
Control Clinics, etc.
Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in
vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language
is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005
issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at
(800) 770-2055.

It seems ridiculous that you need to wear a helmet to the autocross events. You're just driving around in a parking lot, how hectic can things get....your car was designed to protect you without a helmet and I bet it hinders your driving like crazy.

I know what you're saying, and under typical conditions you are right. I think they are concerned about the highly unlikely but extreme possibilities. Only one or two cars nationwide rollover each year in AutoX from what I have heard (probably VW Rabbits - those things lift the rear inside wheel like you wouldn't believe!!!). But at 30 - 40 mph, in a rollover, with your window open (everyone runs with windows open for audible feedback from the car & tires) I'd be thankful to hear the pavement grinding on my helmet, instead of picking my ear up off the pavement.

I think it's also a "rite of passage" of sorts. A lot of people start racing via autoX and move up, so they are setting good baseline standards and habits.

The helmet has never bothered me, other than headroom clearance. With a helmet I probably stand about 6'-5", it hits the roof in the 325 unless I adjust the seat perfectly. Not a problem in the convertible, lol.