Fuel consumption on a X3 2.5 l 2005

Hi

I recently bought a 2005 BMW X3 2.5 L and am worried about its fuel consumption.
I am using +91 octane and use the car for city driving.
It's winter and I use heating system and drive without too much acceleration... and everytime I drive it, the computer board reads 14.1 L/100 KM and upwards....
I have driven it for less 2000 KM and its economy is at 17 L/100 km...
Is this normal? According to the specification, it should average a 14.1 L/100 on an automatic transmission.....is this normal?
I would really appreciate any info on this....
thanks!

softerik

Hi,

Same for me !!

I own a 2004 BMW X3 2.5 L, aut. with 33.000km and alway put 91 octane

For me, Since (around 3 weeks), my fuel consumption has increased! It pass to a average of 10L/100km to 14L/100km !!

Also

When the engine is cold sometime a have a reading of 20.0 L/100 KM and higher!!

Is it the onboard computer ?

Is it the fact that its beginning to be cold outside ? Winter !!

Did you notice the Onboard computer (average fuel consumption L/100km) freeze after a while and have to be reset to putting back on ?? Or is it only me

Erik

softerik said:
Did you notice the Onboard computer (average fuel consumption L/100km) freeze after a while and have to be reset to putting back on ?? Or is it only me
It doesn't freeze as such, it just monitors your average fuel consumption since the last time you reset it. So if you don't reset it for a couple of weeks it is recording your average consumption over that whole time, so it will not change very much. Immediately after you reset it though, it will change very frequently and sometimes quite dramatically, as it is recording your average over a much shorter time.
And yes, fuel consumption on the X models sucks!

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Bullfrog said:
And yes, fuel consumption on the X models sucks!
The 2007 X3 (only one engine option) gets excellent fuel economy, I'd say it's like a previous generation 3 series without AWD.

Actually fuel consumption on the X3 2.5 sucks, it's just dismal. A 4000lb AWD truck with a 184hp 175 torque tiny I6 cylinder engine that's the size of a large I4.

The X3 3.0 with the 225hp engine got better fuel economy than the 2.5, and currently with the new 260hp and 225 torque 3.0 engine that car gets 20 in the city and 28 on the highway, that's excellent fuel economy for a 4000lb truck.

As for the new X5's well they made the car 5500lbs so I have nothing to say, the focus group participants must have goofed, or perhaps they asked the Escalade, H2, and Navigator owners to participate. The New X5 with the 360hp V8 (same engine as the previous 4.8is which gave it a mid 5 seconds acceleration range, gives the new one a high 6 seconds number.... no comment.

Last edited:
Bmw 325i 7803 said:
currently with the new 260hp and 225 torque 3.0 engine that car gets 20 in the city and 28 on the highway, that's excellent fuel economy for a 4000lb truck.
You are joking, aren't you? I've been using a 2007 X3 for a couple of weeks, and if it gets 28mpg highway and 20mpg in the city, I'm going to be the next Pope.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Go to bmw's website. The information is under technical data. I was a little off in memory, it's actually 19 city and 26 highway with auto transmission.

However, The E46 330i is supposed to get 27 or 28 on the highway and I can get 32 mpg holding 68mph... So I would imagine the X3 gets a little better mileage as well. It might not get the city mileage, but it certainly gets the highway mileage. Stop abusing your car, and let it break in properly then after a few thousand miles, start counting mileage. You might be astonished with your findings.

It's not my car, and I don't abuse it! It is being loaned to me whilst some teething troubles on my 330i get fixed. I am spending a lot more on gas doing the same journeys and driving the same as I always do. The computer on the X3 is telling me I am getting an average of 14.9mpg, when on the 330i I usually see around 25mpg on average.