Happy Independence Day

Happy Independence Day!

In my view, this is the most important holiday of the year, followed closely by Memorial Day. I have never worked either day, and never will.

Today we celebrate the birth of our great nation. We celebrate the bravery, fortitude, and vision of those 56 great men. On this day 231 years ago they risked everything form a new nation, and guarantee our freedom. More than their lives or their fortunes, our founders risked the "sacred honor," prized highest amongst that which they stood to lose.

We are at a critical point in our nation's history. So many of us seem to have forgotten why we celebrate. The holiday advertisement my employer sent out this week included not less than 4 references to "July 4th" or "the 4th of July" and failed to mention "Independence Day" even once. We celebrate our freedom. We celebrate our rights and responsibilities. And we celebrate the bravery of all the generations that have gone before us. Remember, this is "the land of the free and home of the brave."

As you celebrate with friends, family, and neighbors, please remember. Enjoy each other's company. Whether you agree with all the politics we're dealing with, celebrate the fact that we get to deal with these issues, rather than simply having them forced on us. During the fireworks this evening, take the time to sing our national anthem. If you're lucky enough to be somewhere that allows private fireworks, be sure to listen to the crack and boom of fireworks going off all around you. Remember, this is the sound that set us free.

Happy Independence Day!