I have rubber smell inside car...maybe NEW scent???

tridski

I have a 2005 325xi, I seams to smell like rubber inside at times. You smell it more when the sunroof is opened. Is this just new car scent. I also smells in the trunk like new rubber tire. Is this common. Thanks for any help. Dave

Uh, sorry to pop your bubble, but if you just got your 2005 325xi, it might be "new" to you, but it can't have a new car smell....since the car is 3-4 years old! Did you place new all weather mats in the car, as they can smell strong when new? Before you purchased it, was a new spare tire placed in the trunk?

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Explanation of the smell

First off I would like to apologize for the Hollywood type Californian-esque snobbish response you received, please disregard it, we are a friendly and level headed forum.

The smell that you're getting is basically what BMW's techs and SA's like to call "the new car smell, or the burning off of a coating on the engine since its a new car". Whether this is true or not, I am not sure. However, I do know that every BMW I have ever owned all 3, had this smell with them, it smells to the point where I do not enjoy opening the sunroof ever, I don't like the dusty-rubberish-engine smell. Also that trunk smell happened in my 03 325i as well, I think it's from the cardboard/material carpeting in it, also an offensive smell. I would suggest that you do not use the sunroof when the engine is warm, or on a warm day, and that you use some fabreeze in the trunk. Otherwise you have to get used to it

Unfortunarely it's a smell like this that make me not mind trading in my 325i along with its other problems.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum.

First off I would like to apologize for the Hollywood type Californian-esque snobbish response you received, please disregard it, we are a friendly and level headed forum.

The smell that you're getting is basically what BMW's techs and SA's like to call "the new car smell, or the burning off of a coating on the engine since its a new car". Whether this is true or not, I am not sure. However, I do know that every BMW I have ever owned all 3, had this smell with them, it smells to the point where I do not enjoy opening the sunroof ever, I don't like the dusty-rubberish-engine smell. Also that trunk smell happened in my 03 325i as well, I think it's from the cardboard/material carpeting in it, also an offensive smell. I would suggest that you do not use the sunroof when the engine is warm, or on a warm day, and that you use some fabreeze in the trunk. Otherwise you have to get used to it

Unfortunarely it's a smell like this that make me not mind trading in my 325i along with its other problems.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum.
Wow, you really are a major Dick Bmw 325i 7803! You are just so cocky and such miserable, bitter man. Whenever there is an unfriendly post, it is almost always from you. Besides from you, this Forum is friendly.

Regarding the smell, I was not being "California-esque" or snobbish, just stating the obvious that a 3-4 year old car cannot have a new car smell. If you take the time to read my original post, I actually offered 2 real, potential sources of the smell.

tridski

Well, It does smell stronger when the sunroof is opened as stated by bmw 7803. It does look like a new spare tire also. The car only had 25,000 miles on it. It doesnt bother me to much, I was just wondering if anyone had this problem before. People that drive with me havent said it was bad, they all thought is was new car scent. Thanks for the thoughts.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Uh, sorry to pop your bubble, but if you just got your 2005 325xi, it might be "new" to you, but it can't have a new car smell....since the car is 3-4 years old! Did you place new all weather mats in the car, as they can smell strong when new? Before you purchased it, was a new spare tire placed in the trunk?

Oh come on now buddy, you're trying to tell me the portions of your post highlighted in bold do not sound like they were quoted verbatim from Paris Hilton or any other Hollywood type.. Not to mention being riddled with an aura of materialism relating to the car's status symbol traits. I'm sure there are plenty of low mileage cars that still smell like sweet black BMW leather inside... As to the "sorry to burst your bubble" comment...[rofl] All I can say is a big LOL as they say online, and I stand by my previous post 100%. Especially when the BMW tech's advised me personally that the smell he described is known as the "new car smell" due to a coating burning off the engine.