Looking for blower motor resistor on my X5

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
Long time no post. Hello again everyone.

My HVAC blower motor on my 2001 X5 now only blows one speed (fairly slow).

Reading around here and other forums, it seems like it may be my blower motor resistor pack.

My question is: Does anyone know where this thing is located on an X5?

Also, while under warranty years ago, it did a similar thing, except that time it seemed more possessed (mind of its own) and I remember the service invoice saying something about replacing a RHEOSTAT.

Any idea where that might be located?

I am looking for diagrams/schematics. Any of these on the internet?

You guys rock.

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
Thanks Kirby. Great information. I knew one of you gurus would be able to guide me.

I am going to look for it at the 5-series location. I'll let you know what I find.

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
Thanks Dan.

OK, the job is DONE. The resistor pack was the culprit. It was accessible from the passenger side, approximately where it is on the 5-series. The console side carpet bolster was a bit of a bear to reinstall, but other than that it was simple.

Thanks for all the help and guiding me in the right direction.

They did change the design of the part itself over the years. The old one has thicker, fewer and longer rods than the new one. The new one had more, shorter, more closely packed silvery rods. The parts guy at the dealership said a LOT of these have been going out because the old design was overheating. The new design dissipates heat much better as was obvious from the new design.

I am still fascinated by how well these cars are engineered.

BTW the part was $125 at the stealership. I could have got it a lot cheaper at pelican (like $88) but just went for it.

Thanks again.

Eric