Remote Key Programming

narere

Hello,

Just replaced battery on remote for 97 740i. It now doesn't work. I have done what the manual told me to do, i.e., got in, closed doors, turned key to "2" for 2 secs, turned to "0", pushed close button, pushed open button thrice in succession, released close. No joy.

Any ideas, anyone.

Thanks in advance.

is the light coming on when you press the buttons down on the remote to unlock and lock? sometimes when you replace the batteries in the remotes you don't get the contact points back where they were then it may not have a proper connnection to the batteries themselves. if the light's on your remote is coming on then you may need to have it tuned it. Most remotes have a small screw type of switch that you can take a jewelers screwdriver into and turn and this tunes it into your brains frequency but don't move it too much. This is for tuning in and getting the most distance and to keep your alarm responding to your remote. Hope this helps.

narere

Datant,

The lights do come on, and they also flash momentarily when I go through the reprogramming procedure, but the doors do not lock.

I cannot locate the screws. I tried downloading pics of my key but the files were huge. It has a round centre for locking and another at the bottom for unlocking. The dealership has quoted $345 plus GST for a replacement set of keys. I just wondered whether there was a cheaper way around.

Thanx.