Spy Shots: BMW X5 M close ups

Big Daddy

Currently sitting atop BMW’s X5 range is the 4.8is but if these latest spy shots are anything to go by there may be a new top dog in the X5 lineup and this one could get an ‘M’ badge. A performance SUV doesn’t really fit in with the M philosophy of increased performance through reduced weight but the allure of the two-ton sports market could be too strong even for BMW and its famed M division to resist.

After witnessing Porsche and AMG rack up thousands of sales with their respective Cayenne and ML models, BMW is now primed to launch its own high-performance version of the X5 SUV. We now have images of a prototype version of such a car being offloaded from a truck in Germany.

The test-mule was sporting a pair of quad exhaust pipes, which suggest it’s a new high-displacement model. Other details revealing there’s a new powertrain being developed included a funny warning message spotted inside the car to remind drivers that running the engine for longer than 30 minutes will cause it to go ‘kaput’.

There are two schools of thought on which engine will power the new car. Some suggest the 5.0L V10 from the M5 could make its way into the X5 but officials have previously stated that engine would be reserved for the M5 and M6 only. The alternative is a new twin-turbo 4.4L petrol V8 engine currently in development with a rumored output of around 430hp (331kW) and 600Nm of torque.

From Motor Authority

That would be nice........ I see alot of ML63 AMG's running around. There are few things in this world as humiliating as getting your butt handed to you by an SUV..... when you drive a sportscar.. Personal experience

I dunno, doesn't look very M-ish. I've seen X5s on the road with dual exhaust.

Could be just a model-year update.
William330,

There is not a quad exhaust on ANY BMW unless it was after market or an original M. Quad exhaust is trademark for BMW M division ONLY. The air intakes on the front of this X5 are HUGE..... it has to be an M

Big Daddy

According to a poster on the "Motor Authority" site the writing on the paper in the X5 says, "Switch the Pump for the engine on and let it run for 30 minutes after a longer ride… after that switch it off otherways ENIGINE break down”

William330

Tool fan -- hope you're right, I'd sure like to see an MX5. :)

On that note, the next "standard" X3 version should be a real
speed demon, if it uses the 300HP engine from the 335.