Transmission Slipping

cai

Now I am having problems with my 1988 735i with the E32 engine and automatic transmission. Tonight the car would thump quite markedly when changing from 1st to 2nd gear. While stuck in stop and go traffic the car would not advance while in D - drive. It would go OK if I put it in position 3 of the gear shift. It also started smoking a lot, but there was no visible leak when I parked the car. I had to drive about 20 miles in 3 at about 60 mph and did not have any problems. The D position still does not work, the tachometer revolutions goes up but the car does not advance.

I have trouble reading the level on the transmission dip stick. It is difficult to see the liquid on the stick. However when I took it to the dealer sometime ago, he said that the level was OK. Does anyone know of a trick to read this level?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

epj3

Just becuase the level was okay even YESTERDAY doesnt mean it's okay today, I'd check it again, if you cant see any fluid, chances are it's low.

cai

I just checked the transmission fluid level and it seems to be full to the brim. I do not know from where the smoke is coming; the oil does not seem to be leaking much and the smell is not of burning oil. The steering fluid holding cylinder is foamy, so it could conceivably have a leak somewhere, but the level seems to be holding.

THE MAIN QUESTION IS "THE TRANSMISSION IS SLIPPING" and I do not know why.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

cai

I have driven the car today and it reacts as follows:

-it slips and shakes when coming out of a stop or during slow speed.
-it does this whether in "D" or "M - 1-2-3".
-while in "D" it will lose power when the accelerator is modulated after reaching about 35-40 mph.
-does not seem to lose power in "M-3" when going over 50 mph.

The BMW blue book "Repair Manual" says on chapter 24 - Automatic Transmission troubleshooting section:

"Sliping or shaking when moving off - clutch A damaged - replace clutch A" and sites a page and figure at which to look.

From looking at the pictures, this does not seem like something that a "fresh water" mechanic like me can do.

Does anyone have an idea of how much it may cost to replace this clutch, or if the thing to do is to swap the transmission for a rebuilt one?

Thank you.