Weird Key thing on back end of car???....what is it?

hi i recently bought an old '86 745i, and it came with this weird key that fits in at the back of the car. I was wondering if anyone knows what this key things for? It cant turn, maybe its just jammed or something, but help me out please!

There are also little lights beside the door handles, could this key thing be some alarm system or something?

Thanks!

i think it is one of the spare keys. you get the two regular ones, with remote, and than one or two others. one is made of plastic i think. the plastic one can open the door but not start the car.
that´s all very deep hidden memory of mine...i hope it is partly right.

The Weird Key doesn't fit into the trunk lock. It is a different key and is on the back end, on the left near the rear left light. The looks a lot different and is metal as well, but it is like a more tubular key instead of the normal toothed keys that the door and iginition uses.

It's weird and i'm not sure what its for!

Some older alarm systems used a key on the outside of the car to set and deactivate the alarm. I remember seeing articles about guys who would put them in places where the wiring couldn't be gotten to without setting off the alarm first. This was before our little electronics revolution of the late eighties and nineties at which point transmitters became very small and sophisticated. This may be for a keyed (as opposed to keyless) alarm system.

The lights by the handles make it likely there's an alarm somewhere. Is there an aftermarket alarm horn under the hood? Try looking on the inside of the trunk behind the trunk lining and see what kind of wires are attached to the lock. Does the lock look like it's supposed to turn? Maybe it is stuck. Try some WD40 or something. It's quite possible the alarm will work if you can get the key to turn.

Good luck!

Steve

Last edited:
from the picture it looks like a factory bmw type key... maybe it is used to secure a phone unit? seems to me my old 733 had a lock on the cell phone unit in the trunk.... if not, try asking the dealer, maybe they can shed some light on it..... john

The key does appear to have a BMW logo on it. The dealer should know what it is for. It may be that this is the wrong key for the lock and that's why is doesn't turn. The dealer may be able to verify/order another key to be made for your car. I know that even back then the keys were laser cut and the dealer had access to the original ignition key codes based on your VIN. Maybe they have a similar database for the alarms.

Steve

It may be a Valet Key (cant spell, you know, those guys that park your car when you go to a nice resturant) it allows them to start your car, but does not give them acess to the trunk of glove box.

Does it fit in the ignition?

It's not a valet key but at least you spelled it right. [:p]

A valet key for a Beemer is a regular door/ignition key with with some of the tumbler spaces blank so the valet can't get into the glovebox or trunk. But the trunk lock has to be turned all the way, of course.

I still think it's an alarm key that may or may not be for this car which could be why it won't work. Call the service department of your local dealer and find out if they can get you a new key for the alarm.

Steve

Thanks guys, it's not a valet key, it must be for some sort of alarm system, but i havent been able to find any horn under the hood that may be for the alarm. The key won't turn, it may just be the wrong one. I'll try to figure it out and keep you posted.

IT IS a factory BMW key, so someone must know about it.

Thx.

>>NIRVANA FOR LIFE!<<