Wheel Offset and Tire Sizes X3

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before somewhere in this forum, but I'm thinking of going 20 inchers for my X3. What kind of offset and tire sizes should I be looking at? I know the stock is 46, however, I'm looking into some wheels which have a 40 offset and also I'm looking into staggering front 8.5 and rear 10. Does anyone know the optimal tire sizes if I go for this setup?

rory, how's it going, we haven't seen you here in a while!

Anyways, on to the topic. Have you made sure that the X3 can accomodate 20" wheels all around? If so, usually 20" rims have a range of 9 to 10.5 inches. For 20x9 rims, you want 275/40 tires and for 20x10.5 (assuming you want your staggered setup), go with 295/40 or 295/35 tires.

Essentially, tire sizes and offsets are all a step-by-step process. Here is what you should do:

1.) Make sure 20" rims fit on an X3.
2.) Choose which 20" rims you like best.
3.) Choose rim sizes. If the fronts are going to be 20x9, the rears should be 20x10 or 20x10.5. Remember as I mentioned above, you have a typical range of 1.5" for 20" rims (usually 9 to 10.5).
4.) Choose tire sizes and tires. Once you have chosen your rims and rim sizes, you can really narrow down your tire sizes.

Some things to note when upgrading wheels, especialy to 20 inchers:
1.) Make sure fitment is okay (yeah I know I said it a million times already, but you'll be in a world of pain if you didn't check before-hand).
2.) You will get worse gas mileage with the bigger wheels.
3.) The vehicle will suffer in acceleration and braking with the bigger wheels.
4.) The vehicle will give you a rougher ride.
5.) The vehicle will achieve better traction and handling, but will be more affected by road hazards (bumps, potholes, cracks, etc. will cause the wheels to lose traction more easily than smaller wheels).

I hope this helps; just follow up if you have any more questions.