X5 sport seats: lower back pain?

Sigh. I've been experiencing some lower back pain recently, which unfortunately seems to have coincided with the date I took delivery of my lovely X5. It has the sport seats (no lumbar adjustment) - and the "rather firm" (did I hear someone say "bone jarring" [rolleyes]) sport suspension. Not sure it is the X5 (I hope not) but my doctor thinks it may be. She suggests that I straighten the back of the seat to sit more upright, lower the front of the seat and raise the rear of the seat...so that my hips bend at not less than a 90 degree angle. Has anyone else been experiencing anything similar? In my old car, a misadjusted arm rest caused me all sorts of neck pain, which disappeared when I moved the arm rest out of the way, so this is not as crazy as it sounds. [:(]

Bummer

Hey Bobalouie,

Sorry to say, but I think your doctor is correct in this matter. It's funny how most people see this as something relatively unimportant, when in actuality posture and proper seat adjustment play a huge role inside and outside of the vehicle for the driver and occupants. I had the same problem with mine and was experiencing lower back agony, but I knew from my last car that it was most likely the seat adjustment causing it. I pretty much have it down to a science now. What felt really comfortable and relaxing would after long trips cause pain, and when I adjust my seat to how my parents taught me to sit (way back when), I'll exit the vehicle and not even have to stretch after long trips. With the lumbar support, it just added more experimentation to my failsafe methods. Currently I have the lumbar support protruding slightly where my back would normally bend for slouch ness (kind of forcing my back to be straight) and I like that as well. If your BMW service tech is reasonably knowledgeable he/she should be the first place to go to and in conjunction with your doctor's advice have them assist you with the best seating position and you will notice the difference as soon as a couple of days.

Take it easy on that back!! You weren't doing any 4 wheeling off-road where you? [driving]

Re: Bummer

Kierre said:
Hey Bobalouie,

Sorry to say, but I think your doctor is correct in this matter. It's funny how most people see this as something relatively unimportant, when in actuality posture and proper seat adjustment play a huge role inside and outside of the vehicle for the driver and occupants. I had the same problem with mine and was experiencing lower back agony, but I knew from my last car that it was most likely the seat adjustment causing it. I pretty much have it down to a science now. What felt really comfortable and relaxing would after long trips cause pain, and when I adjust my seat to how my parents taught me to sit (way back when), I'll exit the vehicle and not even have to stretch after long trips. With the lumbar support, it just added more experimentation to my failsafe methods. Currently I have the lumbar support protruding slightly where my back would normally bend for slouch ness (kind of forcing my back to be straight) and I like that as well. If your BMW service tech is reasonably knowledgeable he/she should be the first place to go to and in conjunction with your doctor's advice have them assist you with the best seating position and you will notice the difference as soon as a couple of days.

Take it easy on that back!! You weren't doing any 4 wheeling off-road where you? [driving]
Thanks Kierre. I think I've noticed some improvement since adjusting the seat. We'll see. Wasn't doing any offroading but last weekend was my first longish drive to the country....the X5 was phenomenal. This weekend I am going to a friend's cottage in Muskoka....one of the most beautiful places on earth...pristine lakes and boathouses....(lots of Hollywood movie stars there....ugh)...so the X5 will have another good run. Thanks again for the advice.[wave]

Seat Position

Hoping your back is feeling better.

What are your thoughts about seat and steering position in general? I have a 2001 X5. I'm 6' 1". I just cannot seem to find the right combination of seat and steering wheel position where I'm comfortable and can see the full speedometer. When I'm positioned properly for comfort, dang it all that I can't see the speedo from about 55 to 75. I can tilt my head etc to get a glance, but with all of the vehicles I've owned (from Benz to Porsche to Lexus to Toyota), I've never had such a frustrating experience. What's your experience?