330 ci burning oil

breaddy

hi, i have a 2001 330 ci that is using oil and i am wondering how much i should expect. it has only 81000 kms on it. i have been only using the bmw recommened synthetic oil (casotrol 5w40) i drive it mostly in the city and it is good shape (tires, pressure etc.) i am not afraid to push the car from time to time with the occasional (read once a week) redline push. i do drive sportingly but at times also moderately. i changed oil at 72500 kms had to add a litre 5 months later then another litre 2 months later and now almost another one month after that. bmw tells me that is okay, but i dont believe them. i have checked the coolant and there is no sign of oil in the fluid so the head gasket is okay. any other people with this issue?????

Wallaby

If you are confident that you do not have a leak, then is your vehicle burning the oil, which would be evident by bluish smoke from the exhaust? Does you car idle correctly, or does it stumble? Have you examined one or more of your spark plugs for oil fouling. If your plugs are oil fouled somewhat then it is possible that your CVV (crankcase vent valve) is stuck and allowing some oil to pass into the intake manifold alone with the crankcase gases; this condition will result in unnecessary oil consumption. Most of the time though, with a bad CVV, you will also experience O2 sensors problems.