740i & 740iL Purchase...What to look for?

I am new to this Board and new to BMW automobiles. I currently own a 2001 Land Rover Discovery for about 1 year now and have owned and driven an Acura Legend sedan for about 10yrs.

It's time for me to consider a BMW 7 series. I prefer a 1999 to 2001 7 series BMW. I really like this classic look but don't know what to excpect in terms
of mechanicall relaibility. I know they are great performance cars and are very solid cars to drive.

What are the most common problems with these models? Every 7 series I've looked at has at least 40k to 60K miles on them. What is the recommended scheduled maintenance for cars with this mileage?

I am not interested in comparing apples to oranges, I just want to get your opinion about 7 series sedans you own?

Thanks for the input!

Hugo

Big Daddy

The sevens are a wonderful car. Make sure the owner has had all scheduled work done and not skimped on it. I have no experience with the 99-2001 seven's but would not hesitate to purchase a low mileage one. Have a trusted mechanic check it out for you.

pandrel

I have just received a $6500 repair qoute on my 2001 740i with only 58,000 miles on it, and it's been serviced by the dealer at all appropriate intervals. It's a great car, but unless you can get an extended warranty I would stay away from it. the main problem had to do with multiple oil leaks!