Big street race story

well, i am not a big street racer just because i would like to keep my license. but last night we had everything all planned out. a group of guys were getting together, only 3 cars. but 3 turned into 12 really quickly. there was my bimmer (328iS) a 1997 1.8T running 238 at the wheels, a 325is, an E30 M3 (running on R-compounds), a porsche 944 a subaru 2.5RS, Talon TSi, a some little civic hatch back, some other rice, a mazda mx-6, and a totally riced dodge neon. so as you can see there was going to be a clearly defined front of the pack, and rear.

so we all met up at a parking lot, scoped out the rides and such and then took off. i got screwed coming out of the lot and was in 11th of 12 positions. no big deal, iwanted to toy with the pack. because i knew my car would be in the top three fastest, and i knew that i was the best driver there. out of the lot i was directly behind hte porsche, which was behind what was to be the rear of the pack.

we took off up a windy two lane road, it was about 10pm, and 52 degrees out. i had just run my tank down real low, and filled to a quarter tank with 100 octane. there was a stop sign at the start of the run, and everyone tore off it a cloud of tire smoke. the porsche made a quick move around some of the back-end cars and i stuck with him. we took up both sides of the double yellow.

a mile or so down the road the whole pack was doing about 100 even going into a bend, then i saw the subaru whip around he he spun out but stayed on the road. we all juked around and kept pressing on. i made a big move on the porsche, and then another big move on the 325iS. to get around the 325 i had to go left lane full on in 4th gear over a bunch of hills, it was really sweet. i got up to like 120 with cars all around me. i cut in just as we started a hard right sweeper, i could feel the rears stepping out on me.

down through multiple chicanes (trees on the side of the road, not cones) the speed cut off. then a sudden hard left and i saw the neon go off the road, he was done for the day. i ended up right behind the a4 and the m3, even if the neon hadn't gone off the road it was only a matter of seconds before i was going to ice him anyways. that kind of ended the run because we had to push his car out.

what a great night, my car wreaked of tire and clutch.

god i love my car.

well, i talked with some people who were riding with the a4 and the m3, and sounds like one more lap and i would've had them. sounds like they were jerky drivers. i was smooth = quicker despite my slower car.

You've gotta be kidding me. 12 cars racing on public roads? And you think you're a responsible guy, a "good driver"? Come to the track and do it there. I think you'll be surprised. That's the most irresponsible post I've ever read.

everybody is always talking about being responsible and this and that....dang every single one of us was there and did that already....yeah race track is something different and everybody knows that but still being a good driver is not solely limited to the track [;)]

btw, frolf, shame on you for braking the speed limit [rofl] [thumb] it was surely fun. i am surprised that you had two "casualties".... that is soemthing i never experienced. glad all went out good.

haha, thanks for the replies. as for irresponsible i can't contest. but as for questioning my driving ability..... well that sounds like an invite out to Bimmubishi's place WHOOOHOOOO. i understand the theory of racing, and can apply it well. at no point in time was i in jeopardy of losing control, though others were.

this weekend it is going down again, though this time with more organization. three mid stations where there will be parked cars with police scanners and cell phones. we are going to set a running order and send people off in three groups. also we are going to have maps made, and everyone had a passenger last time so we are making them co pilots (urban rally, i think so).

so this time should be more safe and organized, and we are not going to let slow cars or cars on anythign less than ZR tires run with us.

@Tim - yeah one was an official DNF, the other (the 2.5rs) kind of got back in it after his spin. the scene was similar to what you'd see in a movie.

@bimmumishi - where are you from? if i'm ever in the area, or if your ever in my area, it would be fun to meet up and go drive. there is a pretty good road course about an hour from my house, and an amazing road course about 5 hours from my house. actually that kind of goes for all members, i'd love to meet up with some of you guys sometime.

edit - just read boston, thats a little ways from MN, though i will be in NY in a few weeks.

he got a tocket himself yesterday? funny i know a guy that wanted to shoot somebody to the moon not that long ago for speeding in a 25 zone. or wasn´t it even a 35 zone???? hm...well whatever....[rolleyes]

Thats the funniest post I have read in a long while [thumb]

I take it someone has been watching Initial D? [hihi]

Be safe and if your gonna road race......save it for the track....all it takes is one blowout and your shiny side is right side up.....but boys will be boys [8]

it is a blast to try and let other people play catch up on twisty roads, funny to watch them slow down 100feet before they need to cause they dont know how to downshift and brake and turn at the same time. and they dont understand the concept of a racing line, they miss every apex and have no exit speed. It really is funny cause you know they were trying thier hardest to keep up and they just couldnt do it.

AndrewBall said:
it is a blast to try and let other people play catch up on twisty roads, funny to watch them slow down 100feet before they need to cause they dont know how to downshift and brake and turn at the same time. and they dont understand the concept of a racing line, they miss every apex and have no exit speed. It really is funny cause you know they were trying thier hardest to keep up and they just couldnt do it.
Riiight because you and your "quote" 10.11 sec 1987 325 rule in the "twisties" yO

Guys this ANdrew guy is a classic troll.....claims he drives a 10 sec NATURALLY ASPIRATED 325 with all of 250hp [rofl]

I'd like to see pictures of the ALL MOTOR 10 sec beast Andrew [rofl] I am sure the rest of teh guys would too [hihi]

yeah how would my car not be good in a twisty road? Dinan Stage 4 suspension kit, 1.5degrees of camber front .8 in the rear. explain how it wouldnt be good handling? My 325is is definetly not a 10second car, if it was it wouldnt be NA, But my number obviously pleased you so you can tell every person in the world you ever made eye contact with about it.