Coolant leakage

jdma300

1998 740il... Seems to be a leak from the point where the resovoir/expansion tank is attached to the radiator shroud. There is a large threaded plastic (okay, maybe it's nylon...) bolt which holds two semi-circular pieces together which seem to act as a connector for the expansion tank and shroud. This bolt has a rectangular verticle slot in it. It seems that after the car has warmed up and been driven foir a while, that it leaks from this point. Is there a trick to the alignment of this bolt or what? [headbang]

bmwgirl740

I have a 98 740I that does that same thing. I am interested to know if anyone has any answers. Here is what I posted on another site and someone responded. It may or may not help you.

POST: I have a 1998 740I. My Check Coolant Level warning light comes on every so often. When it does, I check the level of coolant in my radiator and it is always low. This must mean there is a slow leak maybe? I have had it in the shop numerous times and they cannot find anything wrong with it. I find this odd. It never ever overheats or even gets hotter than it is supposed to. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this or what this is? Thanks for your help!

RESPONSE: If you have more than 50k miles, replace your radiator and expansion tank - NOW. If they can't find any leak around the radiator, your valley pan gasket is probably where its at, pretty common.

cai

I have a 1999 740i that needed to have the radiator replaced about a year ago because of a hairline crack at the top of the radiator, on the right hand side as you look at the car from the front. I could not see anything, but the mechanics claim that this is a common place for these radiators to break. Actually, I did see a line, but never thought of it being a crack since I never saw anything coming out from it.

What I have now is that the "check coolant level" message comes on, mainly on cold days, and then disappears if the car is restarted. The message will not go off on its own. But, when I check the coolant level it is full.