Driving in the winter

Levko

I just got my first rear-drive car: 01 BMW740 SPORT and have a question -
Althought it doesn't snow much in Washington DC and I have all-season tires I still worry a little and some people suggest that I put some weight in the trunk on snow days.
What exactly do I put and how much weight?
Any ideas?
Thank you guys.
Igor L.

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
Weight doesn't make any difference anymore, you have traction control and its a hell of a heavy car you'll be fine, just don't "over estimate".

Forget weight in the trunk. Buy real snow tires, not 'no season' tires. That is all you need. I recommend Blizzak LM 22s or LM 25s, or Dunlop Wintersport M3s.

Your car has 50/50 weight distribution as well as traction control, so weight in the trunk is not needed. You can stick with the all-season tires, but as brahtw8 suggested, you are far better off by purchasing a set of snow tires for the winter.

BTM3

same question

I had an e46 M3 prior to my 7 now. That thing suuuuuuuuucked in the snow. if there was an inch of snow.... forget it... i was all over the road.. and yes... i bought another bmw.... i'm assuming that since the thing is like 5000 lbs, it should be better... but any word from other 7 owners? i've got the 19's on it.

BTM3 said:
I had an e46 M3 prior to my 7 now. That thing suuuuuuuuucked in the snow. if there was an inch of snow.... forget it... i was all over the road.. and yes... i bought another bmw.... i'm assuming that since the thing is like 5000 lbs, it should be better... but any word from other 7 owners? i've got the 19's on it.
What kind of tires did you run on your M3 in the winter? I would be surprised if you were running dedicated snow tires, but ICBW.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
BTM3 said:
The M3 is qbout 3500lbs and high powered RWD which is the main reasonwhy it sucked in the snow. You were running summers/allseasons right?

The 750 is about 4500lbs, and also high powered RWD (though not as evident as in the M3 due to the weight). I doubt the 1000 extra lbs make much of a difference, if anything it's the tires.

Get Summer Tires 4 the Summer & Winters 4 the Winter

My Friend,

No matter the weight in this time of hard, slushy snow, don't take chances with your UDM.

For real, true performance you have to get two sets of tires.

Max Performance Summers 19" or 20"
Max Performance Winters 18"

If you take my advice you will be glad you did... All Seasons are CRAP! IMO

GMAN