E32 735i Pre-Purchase Questions...

Today I went and looked at this car: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...lor=&cardist=35

It was pretty nice. There were just a few things I wanted to ask you 7-Series folks. The owner mentioned how he had all the records (service history) for the car (good thing). He then let me take a test drive of it. The battery had died/failed on him, so he had a new battery installed. So I met him at the mechanic place to see the car. It was really nice. So I shifted into drive, and took off down the road. I looked at the instrument display, and the gasoline, and engine temperature needles were off the chart. Also, the display of the mileage did not work. However, when I pushed the gas, the needles went to where they should be and the mileage display came on. It also made a "ding" soundm (a similar sound that my E30 makes when the temp drops to 38 degrees F).

The really weird thing was that this happened more than once during the test drive. When I came back to return the car to him, I asked him why it did this. He then told me that because the battery was removed, all the electronic stuff was messed up. Can anyone verify any truth in this? Is there a solution? Should I stay away from this car and look for another? Any advice is welcomed. Please HELP ME!

Even if I don't get this car, I definitely have my heart set on getting a 7-Series (E32). The driving experience is so much different than my 3-Series. Anything I should look for/be aware of in my quest for the 7?

cai

1- Look at the message board and see if you get a ding plus a readout when you open the door with the key in the ignition. If you do not get a message then the message board bulbs are gone and you cannot tell what the ding is about.
2- My 735i has a Brake Pressure issue that used to cause to ding and give a written message all the time. Now it only does it when I first start the car. If I turn it off and restart it then the ding and message disappear.
3- He may have disconnected the battery in order to clear the codes from the computer memory.

If there is a ding, there is a problem and you should see a message. If you do not, there is something wrong somewhere. How many miles on this car?

Sorry for being so pessimistic, skeptical, and possibly cynical.