I raced an STi

Yesterday on the way to a friends house i had to pick up another friend. Coming out of his neighbor hood i see an STi pull out a head of me. He was kind of all over, taking all the tarmac, ont just what was defined for his use by white and yellow lines. I followed in kind. I could see him checking mirror over and over, cause i was right on him. When the turn came to get on the freeway all i could do was pray he would take it, and seeing as though i was already in 2nd gear with 4000 on the tach, i was ready. When he made the turn I could here his tires howl, and then it was on.
He took off at a blistering pace, and i just tried to catch him. He pulled pretty good away from me, until i reached about 100mph, he cut it back and i flew up next to him. I gave him the thumbs up, and he waved and was laughing (not at me, but just because of the good time). I got ahead of him and had to turn off. The turn i had to take was a long right hander onto another freeway, i put my hand out the window and waved him on. As soon as i entered the turn i was going about 90 and was in 4th gear with the tach around 4000-4500, i floored it as soon as i saw him take chase. Needless to say he reeled me in as if it were nothing. The coolest part was through my rear view mirror i could see the sidewalls of his outter tires WAY flexxed, i can't imagin what mine looked like. Well yeah, he reeled me in, and once we got on the freeway before i had to exit he screamed up and waved to me and took off.

Wow those things are fast, i know my 328iS isn't exactly super super fast, but i deem it quick, and i deem that STi fast.

That was the car I kept on saying I would eventually get. That was two years ago when people though it was going to be a dud. Now I look at it and it is even better thain what I had expected it to be. Amazing power out of an amazing 4 cilinder engine. Im 2-3 years away from my new $30k car. Man I love that car, it is still a very unknown car, people dont realize its speed. It is a pain to tell people its name though, Saubru Impreza WRX Sti, very long name. Nice thing is the close dealar to me is a Cadilac dealar wich sells and services the Saubrus so I get Cadilac service. Look at me, Im dreaming about my next car when I dont even have my BMW yet. Hopefuly getting a 94 325i Convertible in 3 weeks. Its so mutch fun to race people, love to do it in my moms volvo s40.

Last edited:
STI's arent bad and look tons better than the previous STI I just think that new 2.5L motor isnt going to be half as good as the older 2.0L

Plus the turbo is too small on the motor and the EVO's are quicker with similar mods...and the EVO is quite a bit cheaper [eek]

Unless your in a new M3 the STI's will destroy most stock vechicles from a stop...they are only trapping 103-104 stock so from a roll isnt as bad but any car trapping over 100mph is no joke

that is exactly the story that fits to my impression of the WRX. An Sti unfortunately i did not have the cahnce to try yet...but there will be a chance...ther has to be....please [hihi]

frolf, i see that just recently you had a noticeable increase of racing. are you getting addicted?

listen to this guys,.... last week my gf's mother finally decided to sell her old 91 acura legend and get a new car. we went to Crown Acura in st. petersburg, FL and i helped her pick out a brand new 2003 pearl white acura tl. those cars are nice as hell,... anyway. what i'm trying to get to is this... the sales guy that sold the car to us is a close friend of the family and had recently purchased a brand new lancer evo about a half month ago. when we saw him he was driving a wrx impreza. i had to ask him what was up wit the wrx, and where was the evo? he looked at me and said (while shaking his head), i got a full refund on the car.... i was like "SAY WHAT!!!!". apparently the engine Blew after 2 weeks of driving. and here's the kicker!!! after he towed the first one he bought from the lot back to mitsubishi he found out that his wasn't the first one returned. anyone one else hear about this? i also heard that they are rusting straight from the factory also. i don't know about you guys, but i think the STI is overall a better more RELIABLE car....

I never heard about those issues with them but I also never researched those cars. I personally think the Sti is an awesome machine, I never drove one but from the numbers and what you said I think it's awesome. How much faster do you think the Skyline is if at all, that car is also sweet. They rock.

andreyiv said:
I never heard about those issues with them but I also never researched those cars. I personally think the Sti is an awesome machine, I never drove one but from the numbers and what you said I think it's awesome. How much faster do you think the Skyline is if at all, that car is also sweet. They rock.
The skyline is on par with a 13.0-13.30 stock the STI is a 13.30 and the EVO is about the same a tad slower. The EVO has a larger turbo and is capable of mid to high 12's with a few mods...the STI is limited by its smaller turbo but it still responds to bolt-ons.

The Skyline however is a beefy monster......it barfs hp out with bolt-ons the same way Supras do.....but the cost is the biggest limiting factor....a used one not so much but still pricey.

Alicatt

My younger brother has just bought the new WRX STI with the suspension pack and further factory tuned engine it is supposed to be around 360bhp but I do know it is very fast, I have been in it up to 160MPH. He is on his third WRX now, the first one was an ordinary WRX the next was a UK300 WRX and now the new STI all in less than 2 years. Next time I'm up home I'll get him to do a run with the accelerometer and get a printout of the performance.

Edit: Posted a pic of the new STi in the gallery

Last edited:
i want a STi with a nice sequential, and gravel tires, complete with the entire WRC package. you know to drive to work everyday, never know when the road might be closed, need to take a slight detour.

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
Alicatt said:
My younger brother has just bought the new WRX STI with the suspension pack and further factory tuned engine it is supposed to be around 360bhp but I do know it is very fast, I have been in it up to 160MPH. He is on his third WRX now, the first one was an ordinary WRX the next was a UK300 WRX and now the new STI all in less than 2 years. Next time I'm up home I'll get him to do a run with the accelerometer and get a printout of the performance.

Edit: Posted a pic of the new STi in the gallery
Is it the Pro Drive STI???

Alicatt

mikev said:
Is it the Pro Drive STI???
yes it is the new Prodrive STi and has been modified further, he had to wait for a new suspension pack to come in from Japan and the engine was further modified from the Prodrive 305bhp to about 360bhp. Thats his last two cars in the pics I posted in the gallery, the black one is the new STi and had about 2650 miles on it in that pic.