I'm new so don't laugh too hard...

bpddaddy

Please welcome me, I have finally seen what all the hoopla is about. We bought a '98 740il last night and boy oh boy what an experience driving home. My wife let me drive the first 50 miles. Then she phoned my cell and told me to pull over and get out for the remaining 90 miles.

Here's where you'll laugh - We've noticed the "P" indicator light on the gear shift remains on for quite a while after power is turned off. Is this normal and why doesn't it shut off with the rest of the car?

This isn't my first bulletin board so I know how to search and did a lot of searching here before I bought the car. I must say, this is the best bulletin board I've ever come across.

Additionally, as most people ask. The ride is too soft and I'd like to make it a bit more nimble on the road. What upgrades would you wise people suggest. The individual we bought it from was more meticulous than me.

We LOVE it so far!

Thanks,
Brently

Attachments

Welcome to the "family"! Thanks for posting the pix, looks like a nice, clean ride.

No laughing here about questions, we are a pretty friendly and laid back group, and most people here are more than willing to help with questions (not like some other boards!!!).

The P indicator light does stay on, that's normal. German engineering....

Big Daddy

Welcome to the board! I have no idea about your "P" indicator, but it does not sound like a major issue. You have to remember you bought a Seven, not an M3, and that said you bought a "iL" model, they usually have self-leveling systems and unless you want to change all that out there is not a lot you can do to change the ride. Does your car have "EDC", (electronic damper control)? If it does the shocks are expensive, if not you may have more options for struts and shocks.

By the way, thanks for the positive comments about our community. We do have fantastic members here who really strive to help and enjoy each others knowledge. Again, welcome and I hope some of this helps.

Welcome to the board! I have no idea about your "P" indicator, but it does not sound like a major issue. You have to remember you bought a Seven, not an M3, and that said you bought a "iL" model, they usually have self-leveling systems and unless you want to change all that out there is not a lot you can do to change the ride. Does your car have "EDC", (electronic damper control)? If it does the shocks are expensive, if not you may have more options for struts and shocks.

By the way, thanks for the positive comments about our community. We do have fantastic members here who really strive to help and enjoy each others knowledge. Again, welcome and I hope some of this helps.
+1000... only good ol' boys, here,...[thumb]

bpddaddy

Big Daddy... I do not think it has EDC. Don't see the button, nor do I hear any levelling solutions. And I went out and did a search on the EDC strut and $600+ is crazy. I guess my old Tahoe was $400 list, so shouldn't be a surprise.

I call 'em as I see 'em and this site is good. 7 forum doesn't get as much traffic as I thought it would, but most people don't buy 7.

I could brag on this car all day, but for a little over $6k, I'll be early on cautious.

I read somewhere that a member did H&R springs and Bilsteins, I believe. Whatever I do, I don't want to lose the smoothness, but remove some bounce.

Congrats, and Wilkommen an Bord.

You really only paid a little over $6,000.00 for a 1998 740iL? That car was about $75 or $80k when new, right? Great deal, but wow...depreciation!!

The "P" on my 2008 X5 stays illuminated for quite a while on my gear shift lever/joy stick thingamajig too. Looks like BMW likes that for some reason.

Enjoy our board, it is the best!! [:)]

Congrats

Hi there,

Welcome, and congratulations on your purchase.

The "P" light stays on until the car falls "asleep". Anywhere from 16 minutes to an hour, depending upon equipment.

It doesn't surprise me that the ride is soft as it is an "iL" (L for limousine), but I'm sure that other here can help you w/advice how to stiffen up the ride.

Hope this helps,
Tiger

akasjl

Congratulations on the new ride. I recently purchased an '01 iL. Yours looks meticulous. As for electronic upgrades, you may want to think about the widescreen nav display and/or the bluetooth kit. Check out bimmernav.com. Two other useful sites are bavauto.com and bavariansoundwerks.com Enjoy.

bpddaddy

Let's see, here's what I think needs to be done now.

- Have a slight oil leak - guessing it's the oil pan gasket.
- Rear shock squeaks - will replace all 4 wheels.
- Right Rear sunshade down in the door
- I'd like a set of M-Parallel's
- Akasil - yes I want navigation and thinking about retrofitting my virgin

Question: Anyone know who's the OEM shock/strut manufacturer?

bpddaddy

No self-levelling - which I'm very happy about. Now I must decide, sport springs, H and R or Bilsteins, or Boge's. Lot of questions.

Replacing front brakes this weekend with Akebonos.

No self-levelling - which I'm very happy about. Now I must decide, sport springs, H and R or Bilsteins, or Boge's. Lot of questions.

Replacing front brakes this weekend with Akebonos.
When I replace my shocks in my 528, I went with Bilstein touring. Definitely not as soft as the boge factory shocks, but not to jarring either.