M3 or 335xi?

xyankee25

New to BMW and new to this forum. Actually relatively new to posting on forums.

Getting ready to buy a performance sedan to replace my aging Volvo 960. Advice from experienced BMW owners would be appreciated.

Tossing it up between two BMWs, the S4 Audi, and S60R Volvo (all used). Considering an 04-05 M3 or a 2007 335xi. Both seem to have their merits. If you're a dyed-in-the-wool M Series loyalist, you may be horrified. Sorry. My budget can't afford a newer M. I like the AWD of the xi, the Audi and the R Volvo, but my current car is a RWD and that can be fun, too.

I'm not gas mileage conscious (or I'd buy a Mini). Wife and I both like to drive stick. She's a conservative driver. I'm not. That seems to suggest the xi, which delivers more punch when the turbos kick in, versus kicking you in the seatback every time you hit the accelerator more than a little. Greenville, NC is a small city so heavy traffic isn't in the cards until we take long trips out of town. Snow driving is not a factor. I've driven performance cars in snow country for years and can adapt my driving style if we take the car to go skiing. Also wondering about resale in a few years. I keep my cars for 3-5 years.

Possibly as important as all that is the fact that there is no BMW dealer in Greenville. The closest one is 26 mi. away. We do have a very talented and properly equipped Euro car shop in town, though they can't do warranty repairs.

A 2007 335xi is just a few horsepower short of an M3, and you've got 4 doors, which you are used to with the Volvo. So I think unless you specifically want an M3, the xi might be the right choice.

xyankee25

OK, what's the tradeoff from xi to i?

A 2007 335xi is just a few horsepower short of an M3, and you've got 4 doors, which you are used to with the Volvo. So I think unless you specifically want an M3, the xi might be the right choice.
Thanks for the reply. A car buff (former Ford product manager) colleague at my office suggested that the i might be better balanced to drive than the AWD xi, and would have just as much HP. It would cost less, to boot. What do you think?

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
BMW tends to balance their cars as close to 5050 as possible regardless of the AWD. If you want to save a little, you can get the 335i sedan, just be sure it does not have the runflat tires on it, BMW has had quite a few noise and cupping issues with them. I'd also ask for a service record printout, to be sure the car has no problems. If you buy a used 2007 335xi or 335i, make sure it was traded in because it was either too small, the owner couldn't afford it, or the wealthy owner wanted a more expensive car. The only other reason I can think of for trading a BMW in that early or selling it would be unresolved mechanical issues, as with any luxury car. I "dumped" an 03 325i with 8,500 miles because it was a service dept rat, it ended up onsale at the dealer and CPO'd with only 8.5k for over $30,000. Not to mention I drove that car hard too....

Overall you can get the i, but the xi with the TwinTurbo would be an excellent car.

Thanks for the reply. A car buff (former Ford product manager) colleague at my office suggested that the i might be better balanced to drive than the AWD xi, and would have just as much HP. It would cost less, to boot. What do you think?
There are noticeable differences in handling between RWD and AWD. In spirited driving, you can feel the AWD pulling the car into the corner as opposed to the rear end pushing the car into the turn. Subtle but noticeable. I have autocrossed several of my RWD bimmers as well as my daughter's Audi A4 AWD. I prefer RWD hands down. But AWD has it benefits in slick driving conditions.

Also, fuel mileage and steering response will be reduced due to the extra weight of the AWD system.

If you want top notch performance, the i is better, if you want good all weather performance go for the xi.

The beauty of the later model M3s is that all the kinks have been worked out. Plus its an M3, and few people can argue with that. Usually in conversations about V6s, it ends with the e46 M3. After driving the new 3s, they are great for top speeds, but I noticed a big difference in the torque, even with the new M3.

The S4 is great (too subued for me), I've raced a few and they're fast, but the torque in the M3 will blow you away. Plus its RWD, which is how a sport coupe should be IMO.

Just take it easy in the turns during rain, especially with the DSC off, unless you like drifting [}:)]

Plus, you get the "M3 status", on the roads, King of the Road Baby![bmwkick]Just be sure not to fall into the trap of racing everyone that revs their engines, because they will be at lights.

The beauty of the later model M3s is that all the kinks have been worked out. Plus its an M3, and few people can argue with that. Usually in conversations about V6s, it ends with the e46 M3. After driving the new 3s, they are great for top speeds, but I noticed a big difference in the torque, even with the new M3.

The S4 is great (too subued for me), I've raced a few and they're fast, but the torque in the M3 will blow you away. Plus its RWD, which is how a sport coupe should be IMO.

Just take it easy in the turns during rain, especially with the DSC off, unless you like drifting [}:)]

Plus, you get the "M3 status", on the roads, King of the Road Baby![bmwkick]Just be sure not to fall into the trap of racing everyone that revs their engines, because they will be at lights.
Unless you have to drive in the snow, you gotta go with the M3. Just ain't no two ways about it.