Recall Policy?

William330

Three questions...

Does BMW send a letter to owners notifying them of recalls?

Do dealers automatically proactively address recalls as standard policy?

Do owners have to explicitly ask the dealer: "Are there any recalls on my 330ci"?

Big Daddy

1. Sometimes
2. No
3. Sometimes

My experience in the past was that after I lost a great service advisor I had to search for recalls my self and or ask the dealership to check them for my car.

William330

Thanks. Is there a place to search online for recalls by any chance?

Too bad bmwusa.com doesn't e-mail registered customers about such things...

William330

Wow, fantastic link, thanks!

Looks like nothing has been recalled for 2004 X3s (odd, since it was the 1st year on the market) and only one item for the 330 (if someone had brakes redone and had a certain brand rebuilt master cylinder installed).

If it is a safety recall mandated by the NHTSA they must by law try to notify the owner. If it is a company initiated recall campaign, it is up to the manufacturer how they choose to handle it. They usually do not call it a recall, but rather an advisory, Technical Service Bulletin, etc.

I still have steptronic problem,after new trans, new clutch, software, etc, still have the same problem ,think Illl have to live with it.. ...OUt of warranty now, do you guys think they ll still take care of the problem or out of pocket??

William330

RE: transmission issues

For some problems, they may not really have a "fix" (such as the E46 sunroof shade). They'll replace the old defective part, with a brand new defective part. BMW is probably not alone in this regard, however.