Tell me about your X3!

X3 has the same engine as your Z4, but heavier. Your Z4 have a very low profile w/o any lowering. According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the roll over rate is 0.8% for your Z4, which is the top 5 stars on that roll over chance rating. I guess we cannot compare it with the X3.

http://www.safercar.gov/RollRatings2.cfm#VClassSU

The 3.0i X3 has a lot more power than a RV-4, but less power than a 3.0i X5. X5 is a bit more truck like on handling (still better than the real 4x4 out there), vs. X3 is 90% drive like Bimmer sedan. My X3 performs extremely well in snow and heavy rain. During the heavy rain, I still can keep my regular 80 - 90 mph on highways, if I can see the road.

Read a lot of articles on BMW, being a perfectionist to lower the center of gravity of the X3 as little as 0.01 inch, by adjusting the location of battery, height of the engine, material use (weight varies) for different parts, etc... So that we can truly enjoy the passion of the grasping the road with even a SUV.

http://www.safercar.gov/Rollover/Index.htm

Last edited:
Stitch got it right. You obviously already appreciate BMWs, and the X3 is every bit a BMW in its driving qualities. Pretty amazing when you consider that it's a small SUV. Nothing else out there that I know of even comes close.

So, what you get is traditional BMW driving qualities, SAV practicality, and superb stability systems (DSC and X-drive) to help you cope with poor driving conditions. And that panoramic moonroof is enormous.

jmcant1

You all are BMW sales reps, right? :)

Just kidding. Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be looking for a matching X3... and I want the nav system...

Thanks again.

jmcant1 said:
You all are BMW sales reps, right? :)

Just kidding. Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be looking for a matching X3... and I want the nav system...

Thanks again.

It is just a matter of Facts VS. Opinion.

I build highways, commerical, residential, and recreational structures. This is the other passion of my life. Society's safety comes first! That is one of the obligations of being an engineer. [:I]

rory

I don't understand why Stitch says the X3 3.0i has less power than a X5 3.0i? It's the same engine in every way, the X5 is even heavier, so I would think it would have a lower hp/weight ratio.

The X3 3.0i is faster than the X5 3.0i. What I like about the X3 is that it is small on the outside, so it is easy to drive and maneuver on a daily basis, and it is roomy on the inside so it seats 5 adults comfortably and has more trunk space than an X5. The X3 without the Sport Package provides a really good combination of ride quality and handling.

IMO, the X3 is a solid value, especially with the really great lease rates, the only downside is the styling; it is on the feminin side and does not look as purposeful (sporty) as BMW's typically do.

rory said:
I don't understand why Stitch says the X3 3.0i has less power than a X5 3.0i? It's the same engine in every way, the X5 is even heavier, so I would think it would have a lower hp/weight ratio.
Going into the dealer expecting a SUV, I test drove both of them X3 3.0 & X5 3.0 within the 1st hr. and other Xs later on. Base on the experience I had w/ my 325i & my 318ti and some street racing (not any more) w/o modifing my old 3s, the 1st pedal of gas gave me that impression. It was a feeling from my waist.

Well both the X3 and X5 3.0i autos have the same gear ratios, and the 0-60 time for the X5 is slower than the X3. So what did the BMW engineers do exactly that makes the X3 have less power than the X5? I'm still puzzled. If anything, the X3 has a higher power to weight ratio and is faster than the X5.

MrElussive said:
The X3 3.0i is faster than the X5 3.0i. What I like about the X3 is that it is small on the outside, so it is easy to drive and maneuver on a daily basis, and it is roomy on the inside so it seats 5 adults comfortably and has more trunk space than an X5. The X3 without the Sport Package provides a really good combination of ride quality and handling.

IMO, the X3 is a solid value, especially with the really great lease rates, the only downside is the styling; it is on the feminin side and does not look as purposeful (sporty) as BMW's typically do.
Whoa. Its definitly not roomy, I sat in one recently, it feels cramped.. the X5 is roomy. If I were to get a X3 3.0 or an X5 3.0, id get the X5 with no questions asked.

rory said:
Well both the X3 and X5 3.0i autos have the same gear ratios, and the 0-60 time for the X5 is slower than the X3. So what did the BMW engineers do exactly that makes the X3 have less power than the X5? I'm still puzzled. If anything, the X3 has a higher power to weight ratio and is faster than the X5.
They don't have same gear ratios though.

Refering to the diagram above, there are a lot of variables that engineers can play w/ to make the car handle/drive differently.

Here are some examples:
- Size of front/rear end & differential ring gear & pinion
- length of the f/r axles
- width of the tires (surface area of the rubber in touch w/ the pavement), varies w/ tire pressure.
- radii of tires, if you're familiar w/ angular acceleration, and the tangential acceleration. In this case, they are both 17 inch.

- setting of the h/l clutch, differential lock clutch (it thinks, process, & tells you how soon you need an oil change these day, according to your driving habit)
- and more

Stitch said:
They don't have same gear ratios though.

According to BMW USA:

X3 3.0i:
Automatic gear ratios - I/II/III 3.42/2.22/1.60 :1

Automatic gear ratios - IV/V/R 1.00/0.75/3.03 :1

X5 3.0i:
Gear ratios - 1st 3.42:1

Gear ratios - 2nd 2.22:1

Gear ratios - 3rd 1.60:1

Gear ratios - 4th 1.00:1

Gear ratios - 5th 0.75:1

Gear ratios - Reverse 3.03:1

Looks the same to me...

0-60mph time (auto):
X3 3.0i: 7.9 sec
X5 3.0i: 8.3 sec

Specs:
X3 3.0i: 225 @ 5900 hp/ 214 @ 3500 lb-ft
Bore/stroke 3.31/3.53 inch
Nominal output/rpm 225/5900 hp
Max. torque/rpm 214/3500 lb-ft
Compression ratio 10.2 :1

X5 3.0i: 225 @ 5900 hp/ 214 @ 3500 lb-ft
Bore/stroke 3.31/3.53 inch
Nominal output/rpm 225/5900 hp
Max. torque/rpm 214/3500 lb-ft
Compression ratio 10.2 :1

How can an X5 3.0 have more power but yet have a slower 0-60 time than an X3 3.0?

rory said:
How can an X5 3.0 have more power but yet have a slower 0-60 time than an X3 3.0?
I think you don't understand my last post with the 4x4 system diagram above. Is it too advance for you?