wheel fitting

jesse735

Hello everyone.I have an 85 735, I need new wheels for it. Can I put any set of standard 5x120 bmw rims on it, No matter what year there from? Can I put any aftermarkets that are 5x 120? I used to have 17" deep dish BMW rims, I believe they were from a mid 90's 5-series. They fit beatifully, but I need to get some new ones and I'm mostly going the internet route so I need some info so I dont get the wrong size. Any info is greatly appreciated--happy holiday--Jesse

Big Daddy

You not only need to make sure the bolt pattern 5/120 is the same, but you need to get at or near the same offset. You can email the Tire Rack or Discount Tire and they will tell you what the correct offset is. If you have the current BMW wheel code numbers, usually starts with a "J" I can look it up.

jesse735

The Wheels on there now are the old stock 80's rims that were on pretty much everything, they have metric tires on them 220/55 390r. It is cheaper to get new rims and tires than replace the old one's. I had assumed the 5x120 meant it was 5 lugs with 120mm between lugs? What does the offset denote?Is that like 5x4.5 or 5.5,how far can you deviate?

jesse735

Thanks for your help,BD. However, I don't really want to spend $800+ on a wheel and tire website when I can get something comparable at a 3rd of the price on ebay or something. That is what makes the sizing a pain--I appreciate your time

Big Daddy

Discount Tire has wheels for your car from $125.00 each, offer free shipping and even greater deals with tires included. Most of the time you can open an account and get 30 -90 days same as cash. At least they would be willing to tell you the proper offset if you e-mailed them.

jesse735

You're right BD. When you go to these big sites and you put in your car make/model it brings up wheels that will fit. I write down the specs on these wheels that fit. I've found that my rims are 5x120 w/ a 13-23mm offset. I then go to another site and type in my model and they will say they don't have rims that fit,however they do rims that are 5x120, 20mm offset all over the place.Does that make any sense? [chair]