You thought wrong...

AndrewBall said:
what part of shut up, I dont care about your drag racing fetish. did you not understand? go brag about your drag racing civic to someone who cares, cause im done caring and done listening to you. You seem to have way to much to prove to someone who could really care less if you can do a "quick" 1/4 mile time. i might be interested if you said you wrapped it around a jersey barrier.
Like I said your a noobie kid with no knowledge

My car wears 10lb forged aluminum wheels, H&R coil over suspesion with adj koni's, sway bars, stut bars, lower control arm tie bars....

If I wanted a drag car I wouldnt be driving a civic....but since you know nothing about racing I wouldnt expect you to understand

I have more money in suspension mods than your POS car is worth, dont try to lecture me about the "twisties yO" [rolleyes]

Your such an ASSuming noob [hihi]

Do yourself a favor and go to a track and LEARN vehicle dynamics and see how many street cars pull over 1g with street tires....then see if you have a clue [rolleyes]

You didnt name a single suspension piece i dont have.. only you didnt mention Camber Adjustment Plates Front, and Camber Adjustable Rear Sub-frame kit. All of which my car has... I have over 2500$ in suspension work on my car.

"Do yourself a favor and go to a track and LEARN vehicle dynamics and see how many street cars pull over 1g with street tires....then see if you have a clue"

Ok, Ive been at tracks since i was 5, I wasnt allowed to take the Drivers Permit test till i passed a test set up by my dad, and grandfather. Involved a Wet Skid Pad, Autocross Course they made, Drifting, and other performance Driving skills, many only taught in schools so before you go lecture me on driving make sure you can do better my friend, cause I know i wont quit till im infront, Never have Never will, ive driven till i could do the track with my eyes closed, but thats how long it took me to pass the people that have been doing it for 15years. And Street Tires is anything DOT approved So some Goodyear Slicks arent gonna be street tires, so anyone can pull over 1g in street tires, since its not too hard to get ahold of some real sticky tires that are street legal, not street practical. 10lbs...damn get some real race wheels, i got a few spare wheels laying around want them? 13x9 Panasports 6lbs very nice. I will lecture you about the twisties cause according to you, your the only person in the world who can drive. Yet, whats your first reaction if the car is sliding?

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
My first reaction if i started sliding is how the hell didn't i see this sooner. Before the car steps out i feel basically in my ass that its going to happen. I'm constantly aware of how much grip i have left so if i think the car is going to go i'm ready for it. Usually all it takes to correct a small twitch is a bit of lifting off the throttle. only if your going for show would you ever belt the power and turn on opposite lock. (which is why all advice to drivers should be withdrawn as most normal motorists try and correct a slide only to find themselves going the other way.)

umm...the worst possible thing to do in a slide is lift. lifting is the first reaction of everyone, and its also teh reason they went off the road, if you need to slow down left foot brake. otherwise stay on the power, there is no style to be found in correcting. Stay on the power, and drift, or continue the turn, never lift. Lifting will only let the inertia of the car catch up to it and around you will go. Lifiting is only practical in controled slides, where you expected to do it. But otherwise its the worst thing you could do. and im not talkin about a little tire squeak slide, i mean if the the car just steps out, maybe form a patch of leaves on the road or whatever, to the point were serious action is needed and you cant avoid it by chance.

I'm no pro in driving and am nothing even close to it (at least in my opinion), but about 2 weeks or so ago, I took a turn on a T type intersection and stepped on the gas too much and because of the rain and tires that suck in rain I lost it and the car started going sideways, for some reason instead of letting go of the gas, I left my foot where it was and corrected the "drift" buy turning the other way. To my amazement I caught it at the right moment and made the car go straight again. I don't know what letting go of the gas would have done but not doing it and correcting with the wheel only, worked. AndrewBall, I'm so jealous of you because there is a track close to you, always wanted to learn performance driving but couldn't because the only thing that is even close to a closed circuit here is an old air field with the speed limit at 25 and a lot of cops around.

QuickCivicGuy you mentioned 1/10th scale cars, which ones did you have? When I was younger, I got into it and even tried to compete at my local track (located on that same old air field) but it's dominated by 1/8th scale cars and those were way to much for my budget at that time and now I grew out of it, a lot of money and no actuall feeling of the G forces.

letting go of the gas in that situation would've been similar to pulling the ebrake, right around you would've gone. the beauty of rwd, little oversteer? step on it.

My poor English doesn't permit me to do an active participation on this thread, but I'm really surprised about why my beloved BMW owners discuss about drag races. BMW cars was not designed to be funny cars. I love my '97 328i, but here in my city there are some WRX Subaru's that will smoke my car in the first 50 meters, but have you driven a Subaru ever, is a piece of steel with four wheels and a turbo engine, NO MORE.

Here there are many 2.2lts Hondas that are really fast, but no more. Better talk about S3 & S4 AUDI's, or top end Mercedes, for sure all of them slower than a modified Honda, but God, a car, a good car like German ones are much more than an engine and a light metal structure.

Just make a simple experiment, show to a little boy (BEST WITH A GIRL) two pictures, one from a Japanese car (ANY) and the second from a M3 or M5 or Z8 and ask him which of them shacked his balls.

CONTINUE LOVING ALL OF YOU

GUSTAVO[thumb]

gusgar said:
My poor English doesn't permit me to do an active participation on this thread, but I'm really surprised about why my beloved BMW owners discuss about drag races. BMW cars was not designed to be funny cars. I love my '97 328i, but here in my city there are some WRX Subaru's that will smoke my car in the first 50 meters, but have you driven a Subaru ever, is a piece of steel with four wheels and a turbo engine, NO MORE.

Here there are many 2.2lts Hondas that are really fast, but no more. Better talk about S3 & S4 AUDI's, or top end Mercedes, for sure all of them slower than a modified Honda, but God, a car, a good car like German ones are much more than an engine and a light metal structure.

Just make a simple experiment, show to a little boy (BEST WITH A GIRL) two pictures, one from a Japanese car (ANY) and the second from a M3 or M5 or Z8 and ask him which of them shacked his balls.

CONTINUE LOVING ALL OF YOU

GUSTAVO[thumb]
haha, i love this guy.

mikev

frolf said:
letting go of the gas in that situation would've been similar to pulling the ebrake, right around you would've gone. the beauty of rwd, little oversteer? step on it.
Exactly the wrong thing to do! lifting off the gas is the CORRECT thing to do not all the way but feathering. its called throttle stearing. no inputs from the wheel and very small controlled changes on the throttle. get a little oversteer and step on it and you will have alot of oversteer. i prefer not to have that in the rush hour traffic [;)]

What happens when you start to slide because of too much power is that the grip goes from the rear due to the wheels spinning. simply "booting" the throttle will prolong the loss of traction. By lifting slightly you slow the wheels down and give yourself the traction back.

If you start to slide due to excess speed and not putting on too much power too soon then again hiting the throttle will loose what grip you have just steer out of the slide while keeping a steady throttle.

If you start to slide due to snow or ice then you lift off the throttle put your hands on your head a pray [;)]

All of that is just what I do, each to there own, but im not wrong [:D]

mikev

AndrewBall said:
umm...the worst possible thing to do in a slide is lift. lifting is the first reaction of everyone, and its also teh reason they went off the road, if you need to slow down left foot brake. otherwise stay on the power, there is no style to be found in correcting. Stay on the power, and drift, or continue the turn, never lift. Lifting will only let the inertia of the car catch up to it and around you will go. Lifiting is only practical in controled slides, where you expected to do it. But otherwise its the worst thing you could do. and im not talkin about a little tire squeak slide, i mean if the the car just steps out, maybe form a patch of leaves on the road or whatever, to the point were serious action is needed and you cant avoid it by chance.
I thought this needed a seperate reply. i said nothing about lifting through a corner and braking is worse than lifting IMO. i was talking about what happens when a car slides or starts to on a public road with 0 run off room. my descriptions are how i deal with that problem and despite driving like an ass i haven't had a single crash ever!!

flashinthepan

Wow !!

Interesting thread, guys love cars, thats for sure !!!

Andrew - I was thinking a top speed of 155 mph with 410 differential may not even be possible ??, but I am not here to flame anyone....you guys already have that covered !!

I am happy for both Civicguy and you, you sound like you have some fun with your cars and that is the goal !!

Enjoy !!

[burnout]

mikev said:
Exactly the wrong thing to do! lifting off the gas is the CORRECT thing to do not all the way but feathering. its called throttle stearing. no inputs from the wheel and very small controlled changes on the throttle. get a little oversteer and step on it and you will have alot of oversteer. i prefer not to have that in the rush hour traffic [;)]

What happens when you start to slide because of too much power is that the grip goes from the rear due to the wheels spinning. simply "booting" the throttle will prolong the loss of traction. By lifting slightly you slow the wheels down and give yourself the traction back.

If you start to slide due to excess speed and not putting on too much power too soon then again hiting the throttle will loose what grip you have just steer out of the slide while keeping a steady throttle.

If you start to slide due to snow or ice then you lift off the throttle put your hands on your head a pray [;)]

All of that is just what I do, each to there own, but im not wrong [:D]
haha, yeah step on it was a little over board. i should've worded that better, the LAST THING you want to do is let all off. now i thought about this a little, and the adverse conditions you mentioned, but isn't loss of the rear wheels an adverse condition. stepping on it will as you said prolong the loss of traction, but you have a lot more ability to point the car when the wheels are smoking than when they are stopped.

but yes, you are correct, feathering the throttle is a great way to control you car as you teater on the edge of traction, it has saved my car more than once.

..damn, i really n00bed up my response

AndrewBall said:
You didnt name a single suspension piece i dont have.. only you didnt mention Camber Adjustment Plates Front, and Camber Adjustable Rear Sub-frame kit. All of which my car has... I have over 2500$ in suspension work on my car.

"Do yourself a favor and go to a track and LEARN vehicle dynamics and see how many street cars pull over 1g with street tires....then see if you have a clue"

Ok, Ive been at tracks since i was 5, I wasnt allowed to take the Drivers Permit test till i passed a test set up by my dad, and grandfather. Involved a Wet Skid Pad, Autocross Course they made, Drifting, and other performance Driving skills, many only taught in schools so before you go lecture me on driving make sure you can do better my friend, cause I know i wont quit till im infront, Never have Never will, ive driven till i could do the track with my eyes closed, but thats how long it took me to pass the people that have been doing it for 15years. And Street Tires is anything DOT approved So some Goodyear Slicks arent gonna be street tires, so anyone can pull over 1g in street tires, since its not too hard to get ahold of some real sticky tires that are street legal, not street practical. 10lbs...damn get some real race wheels, i got a few spare wheels laying around want them? 13x9 Panasports 6lbs very nice. I will lecture you about the twisties cause according to you, your the only person in the world who can drive. Yet, whats your first reaction if the car is sliding?
I said STREET tires...not slicks boy...do you have trouble reading? I have 15X7 Road legal wheels not track only panasports...[rolleyes] Real race wheels lol Lets see how cheap a set of new volks are....hmm $400 a piece...yeah REAL wheels lol your such a tool

You will always be a noob no matter how old you are, thinking your "close" to running 10's in your imaginary car and youve never even been to a drag strip [rolleyes]

Let me open your eyes.....drag is a test of acceleration....cars are made to acclerate...how well you accelerate will depend on traction, suspension, power and power band....its a measument of many of the cars qualities

People who are slow in drag racing are missing the fact that all things being equal the guy with the quicker car will have an advantage when it comes to powering out of apex's, straights and technical tracks where a power advantage will show which cars are just plain FASTER

Andrew is a kid. very closed minded and very little in knowledge of cars period.

To the guy saying that ANY japanese car will not be chosen is down right ridiculous.....RX7's Supra's Skylines, NSX's, EVO's, STI's, are all phenominal cars in their own right

Asking a kid who doesnt know squat about cars is pretty dumb...hell most girls think V6 camaros are "fast" when in truth they are slow as hell....what LOOKS like someting doesnt matter is it isnt really SOMETHING unless it can back it up

Talk is cheap and numbers do the talking....looks are opinions.....handling traits follow driving styles....which is why their are different cars in the first place..

The badest of all passenger cars is the ENZO ferrari.....MR....660hp....10 sec 1/4....over 1g handling....70+mph through the slalom....simply badass

Put an Enzo next to a BMW and see which car the kid picks.....in the end who drives the car, the kid or you....realize all that matters is how YOU feel about YOUR car and learn to accept its weakness' and praise its strengths....but dont make ridiculous claims that are as assinine as Andrews where "it dominates all" kinda crap

Tell you what drew.....when GT4 comes out this winter I will play you online and we can see just how good you are.....the game represents the ultimate in realism and many F1 and cart drivers use it to memorize tracks before they race there....so if you think your up to it we can go a few laps and see what you got? Hell I'll even use the same car as you and see who can eek out the best lap times?

Word to the wise.....I hope you grow up and learn MR setups or you will be left in the dust

mikev

Ummm alougth i agree that some racing drivers may use computer games to memorise tracks and that GT4 will be one of the most realistic. I completely disagree that it can accuratly represtent real life cars and the smell of leather. it would if your seat had force feedback [:D] but it doesn't. Out of all my friends i am the worst at car racing games i get creamed most of the time (probably because i don't play much) because alougth i'm faster than them (with you there on teaching you how to pick out the racing line) i usually crash due to not being able to control a car through a gamepad. you can't feel what going on and thats the problem. However stick me in a real car and im 30 seconds faster round a series of corners than any of them (in similar cars!).

Last edited:
your calling me a tool? your afraid to try and drive against me in real life so youd rather use a video game that i wont buy, nor think about buying, let alone set up an online system. Drag Racing, would pretty much not be useful at all, in anyway at any track i have ever been to. ever. unless it happens to be one of those 1/4 of a mile long tracks. Thing about it is, no matter how fast your car is, you are not fast unless you are pushing your car to the maxium of its performance on any given track, only then when youve driven the track for years and done hundereds maybe thousands of laps can you say that. till then you have to strive for that moment when you realize there is no going faster with the car set up as it is. and your missing one thing, being fast isnt jsut nailing every corner and haulin ass down the straights, it belive it to being faster than everyone else out there on the track with you, meaning your not always going to be able to take you beloved line. I know alot of racers, and i know many that cant pass because they dont know any other line through a corner or just exactly where the last possible point is before you can start braking. what im saying is your not fast unless you can pass the person in front of you and only then your only faster than them, and no matter how fast you go, there is always someone faster. Basically what im saying, I could probably beat you in a mini S, with you in a C2S. just because i know the track, and i know how to be fast. I dont need a car to make me fast. But obviously to you a car is everything a driver is nothing so thats where you loose. so before you repete yourself with your wasteful crap that I nor no one else cares about (so i belive) just stop before you show us who you really are, typing shit you might have just read out of a book. and stop for christ sake quating everything i say, i know what i said i dont need to see it again... MikeV is right you cant judge skill through a game, but he mentions being able to feel a car oversteering or understeering in a game which i dont belive to be true cause i know i can sense it, maybe im a freak or something i dont know but i can usually sense it and never wreck without a fight.

@AndrewBall.

What a hell 325 you have!!, I had a '87 325 too, but stock, what a nice car, even better than my 328. But your car has all I wanted to have for mine. Have you pics?. Can you post it's specs?

[thumb]

GUS